Sunday 25 November 2012

A Technical Glitch

While I was designing and simulating the antenna, I found that the scattering parameters (S11) were giving unexpected results and not showing the correct frequency values.

After consulting with others who had used the software before I learned that, because the wavelength is so large at the frequency we are using - almost 15 metres, the antenna components are too electrically small to be simulated by the software.

I have decided that it is important to verify the concept of meanderline antennas however a higher frequency needs to be used.

In the initial project plan there was scope to investigate pulsars using the antenna and, as these work at much higher frequencies, I have decided that my concept antenna will focus on observing pulsars.  I will therefore continue to design an antenna  using the CST Microwave Studio software but aim for 400MHz - a common frequency for pulsars - in order to prove the concept.

1 comment: